Beating the Heat with Ayurveda
Some Ayurvedic tips for you to take on when summer comes.
- Drink plenty of fresh sweet fruit juices, cold milk, coconut water and sugar cane juice.
- Avoid ice chilled and aerated beverages as well as coffee, tea and alcohol.
- Drink 2-3 litres of water everyday. Make it better by squeezing a piece of lemon and a pinch of salt.
- Consume more sweet, bitter and astringent tastes.
- Consume less sour, salty and pungent tastes.
- Put cooling spices such as mint, coriander, fennel, anise and cardamom in your cooking.
- Avoid onions, garlic and other spicy food that will only add fuel to the fire.
- Lighter and cooling yoga poses and breathing exercises are advised to check the body heat.
- Indulge in water sports, evening strolls and moonlight walks.
- Stay out of the sun during the hottest part of the day.
- Wear loose, fitting clothing that is made of natural fibers such as cotton and linen as they have a cooling effect property.
- Indulge in a cooling face or body mask with cucumber, avocado, banana and honey.
Aparna K. BAMS, MD, PhD
Consultant advisor for the development of Oneworld Ayurveda and visiting physician
Aparna is one of the few specialists in the world with a Ph.D. in Ayurveda. Born into an Ayurvedic family which operates a traditional Ayurvedic Panchakarma hospital in Kerala, India, she grew up observing her father, the renowned Dr. Padmanabhan.
Leave a Reply