Cold & Cough Ayurvedic Remedies
Having a cold and cough is certainly one of the most uncomfortable things that many of us have endured. The following Ayurvedic methods will help you feel more at ease.
- Make a steam and inhale the fumes for 10 minutes. Add eucalyptus oil, basil leaves or lemongrass oil to your steam will enhance the efficacy of the treatment
- Mix mustard oil with garlic. Alternatively, mix warm sesame oil with salt and a drop of eucalyptus oil or lemongrass oil. Massage your chest, back, and neck with the mixture
- Put one teaspoon of salt into a glass of hot water. Gargle with it twice a day. This treatment is best for children
Herbal Tea (to be consumed 3 times a day)
- 3-4 basil leaves
- 2-3 seeds of black pepper, crushed
- 2 1-inch ginger slices
- 1tsp palm sugar in approx. 350ml of water then reduced the amount to approx. 250ml.
Aparna K. BAMS, MD, PhD
Aparna is one of the few specialists worldwide with a Ph.D. in Ayurveda. Born into an Ayurvedic family which operates a traditional Ayurvedic Panchakarma hospital in Kerala, India, she grew up observing her father, the renowned Dr. Padmanabhan.
Leave a Reply