What are the ideal exercises for each dosha?
We all know that exercise is so good for us. But how do we know which one is best for us?
According to Ayurveda, it depends on your dosha. You can find out your Dosha with the help of our online Dosha Quiz.
No matter what your dosha type is, exercise if not done excessively is one of the most healing things we can do for our body, mind, and soul. Finding the right type of exercise is an opportunity to connect and care for our body every day. Find out the ideal exercises for each dosha so you know which exercise to try:
- Flow exercises and meditative techniques are best for Vata types. Practice Pranayamas and postures like child’s pose, tree pose, down-facing dog, and Vipareetakarani.
- Try to hold each pose while concentrating on the rhythm of your breath to increase focus and reduce the overactivity of the mind.
- Gentle exercises without increasing body heat are recommended.
- Take a pause of around 3-4 minutes after 20 minutes of continuous workout.
- Practice Pranayama techniques such as left-sided Nadi Shodhana, and cooling exercises.
- Hot power yoga is not the best option for Pitta types.
- Make sure to hydrate while exercising, which helps reduce body heat.
- Avoid sparkling water. Instead, drink water infused with cucumber and mint leaves.
- Kapha types need high-impact exercises—sun salutations and hot yoga such as Bikram Yoga is advisable.
- Take regular brisk walks or go cycling.
- A minimum of 6 hours of exercise per week is ideal. The best time to do the exercise is in the morning and evening.
Dr. Resmi V. Rajagopal, BAMS, MS (Ayurveda Gynec), PGDYN
Dr. Resmi is a versatile Ayurvedic physician from Kerala, India, specializing in women’s health and pregnancy care, therapeutic yoga, and nutrition.
Leave a Reply